Sunday, January 23, 2011

DIY Skull Tee Dress

Lately I've been lusting after Wildfox Couture, not really anything in particular, just ALL of it.








Unfortunately I missed the Sample Sale they had in LA and there is NO WAY I was going to pay like $80 for a simple tee, I don't care how "couture" it is, that's ridiculous. So I got a little crafty with one of my brother's plain white tees (it was brand new.. i avoided the ones he works out in, ha).

My Inspiration:



And here's how I did it (I got lazy and didn't take a picture of EVERY step, but I'll do my best to explain!)


1. Start off with a plain tee (Hanes or something like that-- I used a Large, partly because that's all my brother had, but I also wanted it to be a bit longer so I could wear it as a dress) and roughly sketch out where you want the neckline to fall (it helps if you put it on and sort of pinpoint with a marker).


2. Cut along the lines and then pin the fabric to create a nice clean edge.

3. After I did this, I decided I didn't want the sleeves as long and cut them as well.
**I hemmed the edge and had a very clean/crisp sleeve, but after trying it on I decided to cut down the middle of the hem to create a distressed/rough edge (seemed more fitting for a skull tee).

You can kind of see what I mean by the rough sleeve, I apologize for the quality of these pictures.. I was using my dinky digital camera.

And here's where I got lazy as goes for taking pictures.. 

4. The collar remaining on the back of the tee was bugging the hell out of me, so I cut it off and decided I wanted a partially open back. **Having done this before (and not being successful) I realized that if I cut a deep back and have a deep front boatneck going on, there is no way the thing would stay on.

So I cut the back, tried it on and positioned the opening to where I would want it to fall. I then marked right at the top of my shoulder blades where I should attach the next piece of fabric. And measured how long it would need to be in order for my dress to stay where I wanted it.

*Took a scrap of chunky lace/ribbon. It actually looks like a black plastic chain, woven with a gold ribbon. And attached it to a scrap of fabric that I had cut from the neckline. (this probably wasn't necessary, but the chain was a tad itchy-- so in the pictures it looks like a white piece of fabric).
I then sewed the pieces to where I had marked them (make sure you try it on before you move on, it may need a little adjustment or to be shortened).

5. I then sketched out in a fabric marker the skull design. Don't worry if it doesn't come out right the first time-- mine definitely didn't. After I got got a pretty good outline of what I wanted I attacked the shirt with fabric paint.

Okay, not attacked, but I outlined with paint where I wanted it to be and started dabbing and filling in the rest. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PAPER/CARDBOARD OR SOMETHING UNDER THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT, otherwise the paint WILL soak through and it won't be pretty.

I spent a long time thinning out the paint and making sure it was a thin, even coat-- I didn't want the paint to dry and look shiny or like plastic.


6. Wash yo shirt! A little of the marker remained and I scrubbed it with Spray N' Wash-- came out perfectly. If your paint comes out too thick and plastic looking, you can go to town with Spray N' Wash and it'll give it a kind of distressed look.



*It looks really cute without the black long sleeve and tights, but it was FREEZING. Perfect for a beach cover up or everyday wear. And I didn't have to pay eighty freakin' bucks for it.
Any questions, lemme know!
--Chels

2 comments:

Giselle said...

Awesome DIY!! :)
~Giselle
http://www.machinewashwarm.blogspot.com

SABINNA and DAVID said...

very good post and a very lovely idea!!

xx, Sabinna and David

broken-cookies.blogspot.com